We visited the Cardinia campus to run an incursion for 50 children from Year 3 – Year 6. The children were exploring motion in their classes and the school invited us to enhance the children’s learning of this topic.
We made Lego smart parking gates and Lego cars and programmed the gates to open automatically when a car approached.
Aspects of motion explored:
- Motion of interconnected gears
- Spiral motion in snail gears
- Motion of rubber bands or belts in machines
- Motion sensors and their uses
- Circular to linear motion conversion
Along with all this we also looked at 7 steps of software engineering as we engineered our machines from scratch! It started with a set of lego pieces and ended with an intelligent, remote controlled machine!