The Big Builders program introduces children age 3 to 5 years to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths(STEM) in a fun and playful manner. Children learn to ‘think like engineers’ by building machines using K’nex® More importantly, they learn important problem solving and critical thinking skills as they build together with their parents and each other.
Ages: 3-5 (3 year kinder, 4 year kinder, Prep)
Average lesson duration: 45 minutesProgram Subjects:
- Physics Principles: Basic principles such as balance and buoyancy
- Animal Kingdom: Various animals – domestic and wild
- Biology: Insects, life cycles, aquatics and more
- The Universe: Space, Earth and the Solar System
- Geometry: Characteristics of basic geometric shapes
- Transportation and Traffic Safety: Understanding different types of vehicles including motorcycles, trucks, cars and boats.
The session follows the Learn-Build-Invent-Communicate Format.
- Learn – the STEM concept is explained
- Build – Children build a K’nex® model representing the topic. For example, if they are learning about the desert, they would build a camel and a cactus. Instructors act as mentors, guiding and supporting the Build process.
- Invent – Children add to their models by doing further extensions and solving ‘build’ challenges. Each child is extended according to individual ability and gets an opportunity to deep dive into the science being taught
- Communicate – Children share what they have built with peers and teachers. The class encourages collaboration and teamwork – important skills for 21st century learners!
- Science knowledge beyond the standard curriculum
- Engineering and design thinking
- Problem-solving and thinking outside the box
- Fine motor skills and visual-spatial skills
- Communication and collaboration
- Self Esteem and Self-confidence